Here you can find more resources about the treaties, including curriculum units and our set of Treaties Trading Cards.
Our Guides section contains:
- What are Treaties
- Historical Context
- Research You Can Do with this site
The Treaties Trading Cards provide an accessible educational tool for becoming acquainted with and working with the 374 treaties between the United States and Native nations held by the US National Archives.
Intro to the Treaties
Curriculum Units about the Treaties
- Deloria, V., and R. J. DeMaille. (1999). Documents of American Indian diplomacy : treaties, agreements, and conventions, 1775-1979 / [compiled by] Vine Deloria, Jr., and Raymond J. DeMallie ; with a foreword by Daniel K. Inouye. University of Oklahoma Press. (Represents the work of a team of people over two decades finding and compiling the Indian Treaties)
- DeJong, D. H. (2015). American Indian treaties: A guide to ratified and unratified colonial, United States, state, foreign, and intertribal treaties and agreements, 1607-1911. Salt Lake City: Univ. of Utah Press. (2015) (DeJong, a graduate student assistant on Deloria’s project, notes this volume provides complete bibliographic citations.)
- Fixico, D.L. (2018). Indian Treaties in the United States: An Encyclopedia and Documents Collection. Santa Barbara, California and Denver, Colorado: ABC-CLIO.
- Harjo, S. S. (2014). Nation to Nation: Treaties between the United States and American Indian Nations. Washington, D.C: Smithsonian Books.
- Prucha, F. P. (1997). American Indian treaties : the history of a political anomaly. Berkeley: University of California Press. (Focuses on the Ratified Indian Treaties series)
Treaties in the News
- Recent News on Treaties from Turtle Talk: The leading blog on legal issues in Indian Country
- “American Indian treaties before the courts”: University of Nebraska Lincoln Treaties Portal, last section
Additional Web Resources